Heartburn isn’t what it sounds like. It’s not your heart that’s on fire, but your esophagus. It’s called heartburn most likely because of where the pain and burning occurs as opposed to being associated with the heart. There are many heartburn causes that can alert you so that you know you have it. It’s triggered by various foods, stress and other physiological factors. What happens when heartburn occurs is the cardiac sphincter doesn’t close all the way causing stomach acid to climb back up into the esophagus.
The major symptoms that arise from the above heartburn causes include the following.
- Chronic Cough
- Chronic Wheeze
- Chronic Sore Throat
- Chronic Hoarseness
- Chest Pain
- Burning Sensations in the Chest
- Sour Taste in Your Mouth
- Regurgitation of What You Eat or Drink
For people with chronic heartburn it’s a tough battle. This is because it can become GERD which is a more serious condition making the above heartburn cause symptoms more prominent and frequent. This is usually treated with prescription drugs or even surgery in severe cases. There are also natural ways to combat GERD which includes a list of heartburn causes treatments like the following.
- Ginger – Fresh or ground mixed in food or eaten
- Baking Soda – Teaspoon mixed with water
- Celery – Part of or a whole stalk
- Almonds – Handful will work
- DGL – Chewable herbal form of licorice
- Aloe Vera Juice – 1/4 cup will work
- Slippery Elm Herb – Can be found in the form of a throat lozenge
- Marshmallow Herb – Best when used as marshmallow root tea
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Can be taken mixed with water or honey
- Mustard – A teaspoon or two will do the trick
- Chamomile Tea – Good for promoting sleep as well as stopping and preventing heartburn causes
- Peppermint Tea – Good way to prevent heartburn as well as stopping it
If you are like many people today that don’t like taking over the counter remedies or prescription drugs that cause serious side effects then the above home folk remedies are for you. They are also great when you’re in a bind to find another remedy. The next time you need a quick remedy for heartburn causes consider these options that have worked for many years.